"Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) is a twining vine native to East Asia. It features white-yellow flowers that emit a pleasant, sweet aroma and are often visited by pollinators such as honeybees. Their sweet nectar is readily consumed by wildlife but some parts of the plant are toxic to humans. In landscaping, japanese honeysuckle is used as a groundcover because its dense, fast-growing nature helps prevent weeds and improve soil health.
There are around 180 species of japanese honeysuckle, all of which can be used to lure birds to your garden, as they provide both food and shelter. Throughout spring and summer, the trumpet-shaped flowers attract not only hummingbirds and orioles, but also insects, which then attract insectivorous birds. The berries ripen in late summer and often persist until late fall. Meanwhile, their thick clusters of vines can be used as year-round shelter. Birds commonly attracted to japanese honeysuckle include bluebirds, robins, towhees, thrashers, chickadees, veeries, waxwings, warblers, and many others.
Briarbush and honeysuckle and elderflower --
Each in his turn, you capture, analysed
In such retort, the essential sweets of June.
— John Swinnerton Phillimore
When its flowers are in full bloom, yellow and white flowers emanate a sweet vanilla aroma that adds a freshness ambience to the surrounding. These sweet nectars are actually an important food source for many animals. As this plant is also originated from Japan, it is called Japanese honeysuckle.
Honeysuckles usually blossom from April to June, and the fragrance of the flower is very pleasant. Moreover, the honeysuckle has a very remarkable feature: in one flower has two stamens, and like a couple, the pair of stamens never separate from each other. So the honeysuckle expresses true love.
The devotion of love
Tips from Garden Coaches
Japanese honeysuckle is a shrub that blooms in spring and bears fruits in summer. Growing these plants in the garden can attract butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds. They are relatively easy to maintain because they are resistant to diseases and pests and only require simple care.
Japanese honeysuckle is super easy to take care of, with resistance to almost all pests and diseases. It is a perfect option for gardeners with brown thumbs
Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) has a lot to offer as an ornamental plant since this climbing vine produces long-blooming fragrant and showy flowers from late spring to fall. It is primarily used as an attractive groundcover or to decorate walls, fences, and trellises in coastal, cottage, and informal gardens. However, japanese honeysuckle is best grown alone or in small numbers when carefully controlled. The white flowers work well when combined with the brightness of roses.
This plant can be grown in well-drained soils of dry to wet moisture. Gardeners should keep the plants has low to moderate water needs. However, it is considered drought tolerant which makes it moderately low maintenance.
Fertilization once every 2-3 months during the growing season.
Trim the diseased, withered leaves once a month.
All year around
Needs excellent drainage in pots.
The flower of japanese honeysuckle is extremely attractive, and the edible nectar can be obtained after being professionally processed. However, if picked and eaten at will, it may cause certain damage to human body, especially to children and pets. The stems, leaves and fruits of japanese honeysuckle contain some toxic substances, which are slightly toxic to adults but more toxic to pets and children. If consumed in large quantities, it will cause vomiting, diarrhea, stomachache and other poisoning symptoms. But these effects are usually mild and occur only after being digested in large quantities. If someone is found to have symptoms of poisoning, please first clean the residual of this plant in their mouth, and then seek medical advice.
Toxicity in Animals
The juice of japanese honeysuckle and the toxin in its fruit can cause vomiting, diarrhea and anhelation to dogs. If a dog eats too much, it can lead to loss of appetite, weakness, constipation, bone damage and even death. Please seek medical advice in time if symptoms of poisoning occur"